Loreto, hometown of Claudio Cipolletti

Loreto is well-known for its Basilica della Santa Casa, one of the most important and ancient pilgrims' sanctuaries in the Catholic world,
comparable only to Lourdes for its crowds of pilgrims and believers. The city stands on the top of a gentle hill, surrounded by a vast countryside dedicated to the cultivation of olive trees.
The outline of the dome and bell-tower of the Basilica stands out in all its magnificence and height, and on the top of it stands the figure of the Madonna.
The endless panorama goes from the mountain to the sea.

History of Loreto

Claudio Cipolletti - Loreto nel 1750The town developed around the well-known Basilica, which houses the famous relic of the Santa Casa (Holy House) where, according to the tradition, Virgin Mary was born, lived and received the Annunciation of the miraculous conception of Jesus Christ.

The Catholic legend

According to the Catholic tradition, while Nazareth, where the Holy House stood, was going to be conquered again by the Muslims, who definitively drove the Christians out of Jerusalem in 1291, some angels coming down from above took the Holy House and flew, after several stages, to Loreto.

They stopped in Tersatto first, near Fiume, in Croatia, but being often victim of thieves and wretches, they had to fly to the Marche region.

First they lay it down near Ancona, in the neighborhood of Posatora, which set up around the relic, hence its name Posa-et-Ora.
It stood here about eight months, and then they moved it near Porto Recanati, in a place called "Banderuola", but as it was too exposed to the Turkish invasions, they moved it again to another place, a land owned by two brothers who began to compete for it.

For the last time the angels flew, and laid the House down, during the night between the 9th and 10th of December 1294, in the middle of the road going from Recanati to its port on the top of a hill covered in laurels, and from the latin name Laurus, it was called Lauretum, hence Loreto.

The historical testimony

The studies undertaken just a few years after this event show, beyond a shadow of doubt, the Palestinian origin of the House, both for its architectonic style and especially for the use of building materials completely unknown in the Marche region, at that time commonly used in the Holy Land instead.
Other evidences of its origin can be found in the paintings and graffiti which can still be seen today, portraying Saints of the Eastern Church, and the
passage of the pilgrims visiting the House since Constantine's days. Moreover, the size of the House fits with that of the "hole" where once the House stood in Nazareth.

A recent theory, supported by the finding of documents dated from after 1294, claims that the House was moved by the princes Angelos Komnenian, a dinasty of the emperors of Constantinople. In May of 1900, Giuseppe Lapponi, papal archiater, secretly revealed to Mons. Landrieux, bishop of Dijon, the finding of some documents in the Vatican archives. They testified that a noble Byzantine family called Angelos or De Angelis, descendant of the emperors of Constantinople, during the XIII century removed the walls of the Holy House of Nazareth, rescueing it from the Muslim devastation, and brought them to Italy.

Monuments and places of interest in Loreto

Claudio Cipolletti - Loreto Oggi

Walls
The town is surrounded by a wall built in the XIV century to protect it from the Turkish raids in the Adriatic sea.
After the assault to Porto Recanati on the 5th June of 1518 by Selim I the Cruel, Pope Leone X quickly began the complete reconstruction of the walls.
From 1518 to 1522 three architects worked at them: Antonio da Sangallo the Young designed them, Cristoforo Resse da Imola built them, and Andrea Sansovino improved them.

Madonna's square
Placed at the end of the main axis of the village as an actual monumental space surrounded by the greatest architectonic masterpieces of Loreto.
It is all focused towards the impressive building of the Holy House Sanctuary, started in 1468, ended in the XVII century, and refined with its bell-tower by Vanvitelli in 1755.
The Northern and Eastern sides are closed by the magnificent Apostolic Palace, designed by Giancristoforo Romano and built by Andrea Sansovino, Antonio da Sangallo and Giovanni Boccalini.

Palace of the Province
With its Renaissance taste, it stands along Boccalini boulevard, the main city street, and it was probably built by Marino di Marco Cedrino or by Giuliano da Maiano.

Palace of Town Hall
Made of bricks, its tower, built in the XVII century by Giovanni Branca, is slightly sloping.
The battlements were added in 1887.

Waterworks of the Archi
Pope Paolo V decided to build it due to the extraordinary development of Loreto and the growing crowds of pilgrims.

Claudio Cipolletti
lives and works in Loreto.

Since the beginning, in 1945, in the Claudio Cipolletti company three generations of relatives have worked hard to improve quality and widen the choice of items and
services offered, always keeping a very close relationship with the town of Loreto, and thanks to a big strength that allowed them to be successful for over 60 years: the trust and strength of our employed and partners.
HOME | COMPANY | LORETO | PRODUCTS | DOWNLOAD | CONTACT US | PRIVATE AREA


CLAUDIO CIPOLLETTI S.r.l. - Via S. Francesco, 28 - 60025 Loreto (AN) - ITALY - Tel. +39 071 978085/7501605 - Fax. +39 071 970194
info@claudiocipolletti.it - claudiocipolletti.it
Copyright 2013 CLAUDIO CIPOLLETTI S.r.l. - V.A.T. IT02571930425 - All rights reserved

privacy policy | legal | disclaimer | credits
promediart.com - Creative Design Solutions
promediart.com